Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bling for the Birthday Girl!

While we were pregnant with Malaia we had the talk, do we or don't we? Pierce our babies ears I mean. It wasn't a hard decision to make, we both felt the same way, let her be a baby, let getting earrings be a special thing, something she asks for and looks forward to. My mom had 5 girls, and each of us couldn't WAIT until our big 8th birthday. The year we got to pierce those ears! So I thought that 8 would be the perfect age for my girls to have to wait as well...you know, carry the tradition on? Benjamin agreed, and so 8 it was...until Malaia was about 3! Please Ben, can we pierce her ears....please?! Finally I found a way to change his mind, and get that number down...at least a few years. While I still wanted it to be something they waited and asked for, I didn't want to wait until 8. So...5! 5 was the perfect age in my mind. The year they start Kindergarten(don't get me started, I promise you, I will bawl...) and old enough to understand that we must clean them daily, and keep our fingers off them. 5 was ok with Daddy too....done! So there I was waiting and waiting, counting the months, weeks, then days till it was FINALLY time to take my baby to get those beautiful big girl earrings! I stressed! I was so excited, but just like every mom dreads the immunizations, I was sad for Lai that this might hurt. I remember vividly getting my own ears pierced and bawling my eyes out. Now I am a bit of a drama queen, but lets remember this is MY child, and as much as I hate to admit...she takes after mom! Benjamin sent me off to do this 'mommy and daughter' style...in all honesty, he didn't want to be there to see the tears. His only rule was that she get to pick the earrings, that two people do it at the same time, and that Mia come back earring FREE ;) So we were off! After hitting up Claire's in the mall and finding that they only had one piercer, off we went in search of another ear piercing place, following Daddy's rules (and dodging the small chance Laia may have picked the dreadful hello kitty earrings). At last, two piercers! Laia picked the cutest pink flower earrings, was I really worried? She is MINE after all...I love how still and terrified she is in this picture...And could we have captured a better reaction! All the worry for nothing. She didn't even FLINCH! Such a big girl! Mamma was so proud! And it was such a success I was ready to hike Mia into the seat and give her a go too! She changed her mind last minute, also keeping mommy in line with the rules of Mia returning earring free:)And so here she is! My very big 5 year old! I cannot believe my little Malaia is FIVE! And now, we can FINALLY share earrings:) Mommys dream!

P.S. Daddy told me that night he was surprised when Mia came home without earrings, and a little sad...oh silly Daddy...

No comments:

Post a Comment